The Buzzard's Nest

Somewhat random thoughts, opinions and experiences

Sunday, May 23, 2004

India Chronicles (Day 37)

Well what is there to say regarding India today? It's wet. That's what! The monsoon is not supposed to be here for another week or so and it is raining....and raining....and raining.....it stops just long enough for you to say "it's about time" then it starts raining again. The Sun MAY creep through the clouds for about 10 minutes but then it's gone and it's raining again. At this point I hope that I do have to go to the US in a week so that I may have a chance of seenig the Venus transit across the Sun. June 8 here in Kerala is flirting with Monsoon disaster. That being said, my sources in Harrisburg tell me they have been experiencing the same, so we'll see.....

I posted several pictures tonight to give a photographic flavor of things here. I was successful in using a software program called GIMP (it's a Photoshop syle program for people that don't want to pay $800 for Photoshop) to down-size the 1.0-2.0 MB photos to a more manageable size for this crappy dial-up connection to handle. There are houseboats, resorts, weddings, dinner and the Kerala backwaters. More will follow as I take more pictures now that I have a somewhat easy way to put these on the web.

One thing I have touched on before, but never really went into detail on were the motorcycles. Almost every family has one; at least the middle class and up do. This is usually the family's primary mode of transportation. If they are upper middle class to upper class, they most likely have a motorcyle and a car. More on the cars later. Anyway, as I saw in Dongguan, China, it is not uncommon (that's a double negative folks) to see a family of four on the motorcyle. That's right, momma, papa, jr. an 'sis are all on the bike. This is how it works;

Papa is driving, jr. is in front of papa.

Mama is riding side saddle behind papa; that means her butt's on the seat and both her legs are hanging off the left side (it's alwaya the left side, I wonder why that is!??).

If the other child is sufficiently small (i.e. an infant or toddler), mama is holding onto said child with her left arm, while the right arm is either hanging free or on papa's shoulder.

If the other child is big enough, they just sit normally between mama and papa.

This is incredible to see!! Especially in light of the fact that papa is swerving around people, bicycles, autorickshaws, stopped cars and buses. Usually she doesn't even flinch baby and all. It is absolutely incredible to watch.

You MAY see two on a bicycle, but that usually is a guy and his buddy; sometimes the buddy is sitting on the rear pannier rack and sometimes he's sitting on the top-tube.

And "what about when it's raining??" People still ride motorcycles. Some f them have elaborate rain suits they wear. Other cover themselves with platic garbage bags. Others just choose to get wet and still others ride with an umbrella in one hand and they drive with the other. Visualize this one people; left hand carrying the umbrella at a forward tilting angle, while controlling the gas and steering with the right. Hope he doesn't have to make a quick swerve or stop! Crazy!

Regarding cars....my driver drives the company's Daewoo Ciento (I think that's the model). Think early 90's Corolla. It's just kinda there. That vehicle's passenger power-window died one day (wonder why that only happens in cars I am associated with?) and while it was being fixed he picked me up in an Opal. Not sure of the model, but the car is German....you can tell. Absolutely solid! I liked that car, but am unimportant enough to get that one, so the next day we were back to Korean cars. You can see many different makes.....Daewoo, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai (all of a sudden I have no idea how to spell that), Ford, Chevrolet and Mercedes. I see more Fords than Chevy's and let's not let this turn into a Ford v. Chevy argument (that's for all you Nascar fans out there). I have seen several Mercedes, which is quite surprising (you'll know why in a minute). Maybe I just keep seeing the same ONE......

The HR guy is buying a Ford Ikon. Think Focus; that's more or less what it is. We had to go to the dealership on the way to investigate kennels (more on this later) and while there I asked Manu how much a Ford costs. He pointed to this nice white one he likes, a Moreno or something, and said 14 lakhs.

Ok, quick currency lesson...
100 paise to a Rupee
100,000 Rupees to a lakh
100 Crores to a Lakh (i.e. 10,000,000 rupees)
Rememeber, about 43 Rupees per USD
Most big-money things are noted in terms of lakhs, so you'll see 2,78,000 That looks REAL strange, I know. It means 2 lakhs, 78,000 rupees. You'll get used to it.

Back to the car; 14 Lakhs. This is 1,400,000 rupees or approximately $33,000 USD. You can get low-end 3-Series BMW's for that in the US!!! There is a Ford SUV as well called the Endeavour which is 20 lakhs ($46,500 USD) and this Ikon is about 10 Lakhs ($23,200 USD).

Understand why cars aren't big around here????

And the interest rates are very low here.....7.5% is about as good as you're going to get. It's normally 14-18%.

This is shocking until you are told that until recently 8-10% return on Bank Savings deposits were common. Right now it is 4.5% or so. What's the average US savings account percentage? 1 percent?

Blowing out the clutch while completely shifting gears several times....

I have got to get you pictures of bars here. I don't go there to drink, I go there to buy my beer. Think dive bar in the US and ratchet it down about 15 notches.....

I am told out in the "country" you go in a bar and sit around a table while actually sitting on a dirt floor. The team is going to take me to one at least once. I am taking my camera!

And finally...we're being invaded by the French....again. There will be two French families from my company moving to Cochin with their families no less! One has 2 kids and the other 3. They found English speaking schools here (which will be interesting for 5 French nationals between the ages of 2 and 11) and for some strange reason will be moving into good 'ole Green Acres here. Maybe they can teach me some French! I will teach their kids Astronomy (the 11 year old is psyched I am told; she'll be less psyched when she sees the stinkin' skies here!)

I am curious why they're moving here. I am only here so I could bring Riley. They say they like the open space. We'll see...

And finally...regarding astronomy. If I am in Cochin on 6/8 (the Venus transit across the face of the sun) I will set up my telescope on the roof of our office and basically invite anyone and everyone who wishes to have a look to do so. Perhaps I will contact the media and make a whole public outreach thing out of it. This would be great! Astronomy outreach, exposure for the company and I get a day off more or less to look at something that last happened on December 6, 1882! Unfortunately I have 2 things going against me; a) the Indian government granting me my Visa in the next 5 days and b) the Monsoon is almost here....

That being said, even if we fail now, we'll do the same thing in December or so. I'll take the scope to a children's park and setup the scope to look at Jupiter and/or Saturn. I think that would be a big deal as well (must keep the kids from spitting on the Naglers).....

It is now time for responses to viewer mail.

1 - I refuse to be tricked into describing "the left hand" thing. Nice try. If you really want to know, research online or buy the book "Culture Shock - India" I can confirm via indirect and coincidental observations that what you have been told is true. That being said I will not be asking anyone for confirmation as even I will not bring that one up in conversation.

2 - The beverages at the wedding; Water (didn't touch; didn't know where it came from), tea and coffee. They provided some whipped-up fruity concoction when you arrived but it was not spiked. Was actually looking forward to a beer...oh well.

3 - I have been advised the toilet paper in the freezer can actually be improved upon! Oh joy!!! Baby wipes, folks! And not just your normal baby wipes...you freeze'em!! They basically become popsicles for your butt!

And I agree - that definitelycrossed some sort of line, but now it's stuck on that side and it's not returning.....

4 - Ok, get off the buzz-cut-the hair thing; it was a gag to get some audience participation that for the most part flopped. Did anyone really think I would do such a thing?

5 - A real good question was posed to me "Are all the convenience store owners / clerks, Americans?" Perhaps in other parts of India they are, but here I am pretty much the lone-ranger and I have yet to complete negotiations with 7-Eleven for the India-exclusive franchise rights. They are ongoing, so stay tuned.

6 - I actually DO understand cricket. At least the one-day series. The multiple day test-matches confuse me, but who has time to watch something that takes DAYS to complete!!?? Wait! That describes golf tournaments and NHL playoff hockey. My point is made.....no one! I will be bringing back to the US a cricket bat (I need to learn the actual name for it), ball, gloves, pads and the helmet. They are pretty cool!

7 - I am pretty sure that a six-pack of Labatt Blue and two-dozen Elmo's wings (Buffalo reference, people) would never make it through customs. I apreciate the offer though.

Speaking of wings (somewhat crappy segue), I was at a company function (the Europe VP was here visiting the plant) and was talking to one of the guys in the plant. He had visited Huntington, PA (we have a plant there; there's not much else, unless you love mountains, Ruffled Grouse and Deer) and he said the hottest thing he has EVER eaten, and remember he lives here, were Hot Wings.

Now, I am not necessarily knocking the ability of Pennsylvanians to make good wings (ok, you caught me! Yes I am!), but c'mon! I have lived in the mecca of wings (Buffalo), and nothing, I mean NOTHING can touch Duff's Suicidal wings. I won't go near them they smell so powerful. These things are so hot that Saturday Night Live did a skit on the joint in the early 90's. The menu has a disclaimer, for crying out loud!!!

That being said, the food here is VERY hot as well. I was shocked he thought Hot Wings were the spiciest thing he ever ate!

8 - Anyone else notice the occasional ad on the top of this blog for tankless water heaters??? How ironic is that!!??

9 - The currently confirmed distribution list prior to the Blog was 65. I suspect it is now approaching double that. I am informed I am currently the hottest thing to have hit the Boston College campus since Doug Flutie!

10 - Comments from some Indian coworkers of a friend of mine:
"Yes it is tough for outside people to get settled in india. People can visit INDIA for tourism, but not to settle for job."

So there you go!

I'm outta here!! Till next time....



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home