The Buzzard's Nest

Somewhat random thoughts, opinions and experiences

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The India Chronicles (Day 110)

This message will be firmly in line with my blog description. It will be fairly random and not make much sense....

Here is concrete evidence and proof I live in the sticks....

Awaiting the airline tickets for my vacation to arrive from the US via UPS. The tracking number says "EXCEPTION" status.

What the heck does that mean!!???

Here's UPS's explanation...

THE ADDRESS IS IN A REMOTE AREA AND DELIVERIES ARE NOT MADE DAILY

The funny thing is it says OUT FOR DELIVERY in Mumbai, which, for those who haven't been paying attention is Bombay and like 630 miles away!!!

You know you're "Out there" when UPS can't find you!!!

Oh, and from what people are saying, somehow BMW likes Cochin and is sending their architect here in 2-3 weeks. They'll need to seriously overhaul the "services" and "amenities" offered expats for anyone to want to stay here. Bus strikes, student riots, dirt, grime, dust, rain and all. The plant is primarily for export markets. Ooh boy.....

Went to see Spiderman 2 yesterday. Even though UPS can't find me, Hollywood can! Cost me Rs40. About $0.80. I paid for Manu, too, so the actual cost was RS90. To think the US charges $6.50-$7.50. Wow!

Anyway, the funny thing was this theatre was arranged like a normal drama theatre - a floor and a balcony. The floor was Rs30 per ticket and the balcony was Rs40. The floor section was named, you'll LOVE this....."Upper Circle". I am not kidding. The balcony, upper deck was called Rose somethingrather. The "upper circle" holds 639 people. The upper probably 450 or so. You're talking in excess of 1000 people. No - it was not packed. Loud, but not packed. There were some sound effects that will never be done justice in the DVD / home-theatre environment. It was boring at times, but when Spidey was being Spidey....WOW!

Not everyone owns a car here. So the parking area is minimal. But with the addition of my group and more people buying cars, there is less and less space to park. We have people double / triple parked at the office. The only rule is, you park it? LEAVE THE KEYS IN THE CAR. One of your coworkers, when they need to "get out" will move your car for you.

Talk about a team-building, trust exercise!! :-|

A few weeks ago these two scruffy looking guys walk into my office barefoot and, more or less, indicate that they want to wash my office windows. Um, ok. Whatever. So this one guy walks to the window, opens it and then proceeds to step out on a 3 inch ledge, 3 stories up and proceeds to wash my external windows. 3 stories up, 3-inch ledge, no harness and no rope. I was afraid to breath lest I somehow create an atmospheric disturbance which would send him to an untimely death. He survived, fortunately. OSHA would have a field day here!

Speaking of OSHA, seems there is no real governing agency here. Seems we had some "leakage" from our plating lines. The visiting Europeans obviously objected as that is not in line with Groupe environmental policy. What's the big deal I say? What's a little leaked Potassium-Cyanide on the floor gonna harm? That was supposed to be an effective use of sarcasm to make a point. They are addressing the "issues". Not because the Indians say they should, but because the Europeans say they should.

Ok - Baby's name is not really Baby. Her name is Mary. I asked her which she would prefer to be called and she said Mary. Not exactly sure why I have been calling her Baby all this time. (Keep your stinkin' childish comments to yourself - you know who this is directed to!!)

She's Christian, which I think I mentioned already, and Mary is her baptized name. Any guesses what her husband's name is??? Anyone!!???

Yup - Joseph. How cute. They have no immaculately conceived male children. Two daughters, 20 and 18. The oldest is Jobe (joe-bee) and the youngest is Jibi (gee-bee). Riley likes Jobe, barks like crazy and scares Jibi.

Sunday I received my first marriage proposal. A woman that Baby works for as well, has a daughter it seems working for an American company. I thought she said in Cochin, but I don't know of any American companies here. Anyway, she wants her daughter to marry an American and since I am an American...

I could be married in 30 days!!!! Need to find that prenupt......

Not.

I'll end there as that will no doubt create quite a stir amongst the peanut gallery.

Till next time.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home